Monday 21 January 2008

Disco Punk, Electro Funk!

Howdy, Y'all! Hope everyone, if anyone, who is reading this is not currently sitting at a laptop in their boxers at 3:35am GMT and scratching their arses. Moving on. Week three of most eegerly aticipated block of writing since a 10 year old boy got on a flying lump of wood, to catch some goldon balls!

I've made some changes to the Blog in terms of COLOUR and, and and THINGS; I am now speaking to you in the form of green text, yes that funny colour that seems to resemble everything slightly odd in this world. Jim Carey in spandex, Kermit the Frog, and certain parts of the Welsh National Flag. It's a joke if you hadn't already guessed...
There is now a THING called a poll, its generally this question that could have a universal answer, but I'm a strong believer of 'Representative Democracy' and I thought I'd choose some albums for you. You don't have to vote, but I swear if you click vote it won't take you to another site that encourages you to buy a fancy credit card where one side has a curved edge to be different, or try and tell you your penis is too small by waving massive 12" dongs in your face, then demand you sign up to gain access to a life time supply of enlargement pills that, as a side effect give your left eye a slight twitch.
I've spent the past week eyeing up the competition, other music blogs from the average teenage git, and those ad revenue music company people. You know the ones, the ones where you when it loads up, you enter a whole new world of bullshit in front of your eyes, and you know that any moment a homing pigeon will enter through your window and start singing the Spice Girls in Japanese.
However, enough with the jokes and the showing off, down to some serious HARDCORE MUSIC STUDY, with a library of notes on the pitch of an Alex Turner riff.
I'm quite fond of Amy Winehouse's new haircut would you believe it, at first I thought it was some crazy publicity stunt to secure yet another album in the top 10 for 2008. But I've finally seen the light, shes going to audition for Corrie, as there's now a vacancy for an old cow with a wig. Remember these are just jokes, there no need to phone the RSPCA.


The Tigerpicks... Disco never sounded so Glamorous!

My band of choice this week are 'The Tigerpicks'. They are a three-piece electroeyo, popishy, not so hardcore ravers sort of set up from Manchester, who draw them influences from the Yeah Yeah Yeahhs and Tori Amos. I believe I mentioned them in my last blog when I was talking about The Ting Tings. I wasn't intending to write on them, but last night during my orduous 90minute walk from work home to my bed, I spent maybe 20 minutes with my iPod on full blast in complete extecy to. They chosen to make up stage names for themselves that for me just make them all the more worthwhile; "Ice Cat" (Emma Leatherbarrow) and "Queen of Sheba" (Frankie Ross) are the two female singers, and I particularly like the name they chose for the lad on synths, "Disco Hitler" (Martyn Anderson), I don't need to say anymore, thats just a downright class name.
Last year they were signed to new major record label Deltasonic founded in 2000, which is 49% owned by Sony and based in Liverpool. It's responsible for signing mostly local talent from the Liverpool/Manchester area, that includes The Dead 60s, The Little Flames, The Coral and The Zutons amougst others such as Arctic Monkeys' The Rascals, who are a hot tip for 2008. This sounds all rather quaint and dandy, but were they signed for good reason?
I came across the band by chance when listening to () choice for December, and was hooked within minutes, after playing them rather a bit too much over the new year period, I discounted them as maybe just a phase I was going through, a bit like Panic! At the Disco, one of those things that quickly passes!


However when listening to them on Saturday night for that 20minute period, alone in the world with my earphones planted deep in those holes on the side of my head, I opened up to their razor sharp swagger and fun, but also at times, undismissive professionalism. They have been in the business 5 minutes, but sound like a suprise chart topper. They arn't ahead of the times, they arn't behind the times, I don't think they are even with the times, they seem to be on a completely different planet to the rest of us. The NME regards them to be "Gossip gone electro", but I'd go hammer and tongs to say that even Tahita Bulmer could not add more fun to this band.
The first song I heard was 'Disco Punk Electro Punk', hense the name of the blog people! They released it as a single on 14th May last year, but it went almost unnoticed, and I'd love to know why. As soon as the chorus began about 15 seconds into he song, I started to turn my speakers up, and generally when I find a song I like and there's a free house, i could wake badgers from hibernation. If this song fails to make you smile, then I suggest an overdose of plus tablets or many many hapy pills! I've sat here now for 5 minutes trying to think of words to describe the originality of this song. It embodies the glamour and class of Harvey Nicholls, but also the cheek and simplicity of Primark. Yep, I've just compared a song to Primark, maybe it is a bit late at night. It's just simply a Song you have to listen to, and if you check out the CD Artwork that appears in their MySpace pictures then you'll have some idea of the craziness of the tune.
A certain future single lurks in 'Guerilla', the bass and lyrics mould the song into an unstoppable feet tapper, that I could listen to all day.
I've not heard them live yet, or been to see them because of their album recordings at present, but once they get back on the road, I'll be heading up to London to make a hasty appearance.

Track of the Week

It's taken more than 10 year of solid hard graft and endless performances nationwide to break into the mainstream, but at the fourth album attempt of trying 'Biffy Clyro' last year recieved the attention they've always deserved. 'Who's Got a Match' is a bloody great song! 'Mon The Biffy!





Video of the Week

I've struggled to find a recent video this week, so I thought I'd share a personal favourite from last year. It's not a music video as such, more of a mini documentary. 'Behind The Enemy Lines' is the story of The Enemy from Feb 06 - Feb 07 told by the lads themselves. It's probably one of the best mini band videos I've ever seen, so if anyone is watching then, seriously take a look, really is worth it!



No comments: