Monday 11 February 2008

This is Life...

GOOD MORNING VIETNAMMMM!
Ok so you’re not really reading this from Vietnam so I apologise, but if you are, then good morning you, you find old oriental chap you! Have a beer and relax, because you’re about to read one of the most exciting new things to of hit the web this year, and if you don’t like it, then the door is situated in the top right hand corner of the screen, and it’s highlighted in a sparkly red colour!
No, I have not gone completely mad, but my life has hit exciting new heights and lows all at the same time. This means that words, phrases, and the “usual quirky anecdotes” are not to be found here. WOW! I just quoted my first lyrics from a song in context with my blog, yay to me. Kudos to you if you know which song it is and you can feel special like me; the hint to this conundrum being, the band were featured in my last blog, but not necessarily with same song.
The first of the highs is that, I’ve been getting comments from the legendary ‘SiD’, who writes the blog ‘A Space for Music Liberation’ and was voted in the top 100 music blogs at the BT Digital Music awards last year. Having someone who has such an established and popular blog, makes my head do summersaults to Blur and weep to the Juno soundtrack. So I guess you’re reading this now SiD I think, as you read and posted a comment on the last few. So Dankesehen SiD, I now feel special!
Other highs include the fact that I have now finished my article on One Night Only for the Student Paper, which is due to be sent off to be printed on 22nd Feb, which will be posted up in full on a future blog sometime in March.
However, the lows include longer hours at work, because two managers have now quit, leaving no fully signed off managers and the possibility that Pizza Hut, Aldershot, may be shut down. I really hope not, but I shall keep you posted on my plans for suicide should my wages for University Alcohol be somewhat obliterated.


The Clik Clik – Fulham’s Funky Foursome


The Clik Clik are a swanky new four piece Indie/Electro set up from Fulham in London town. Formally a two piece, but I think due to limits of how they could produce music they recruited in two new members to play Drums and Bass.

They’re not really brand spanking new to the London scene, with a host of shows all over the capital in the fall of 07’ and they managed to get some Radio One airplay with their first single ‘My Dunks’ released. A chirpy screech of noise that is perfectly graced with the lyrical and vocal genius of Stefan Abingdon and Maya Yianni and then garnished with a thumping bass that rips through your exoskeleton like Jenna Jameson with whip and chains. This track to me is like Kate Nash meets Robots in Disguise, a glamorous cockney tongue joining forces with the princess’ of electro punk.

The only problem I have with this setup is that their music will always be received like artists such as Robots in Disguise. The music producing and lyrical writing talent is brilliant, there is no question, but commercially I don’t think they will ever be very successful. I just don’t think anyone really gets The Clik Clik, and if no one gets you, then your music isn’t going to be bought. I could be wrong, I mean I for one can’t understand Dido, but she sells shitloads of records.
They done well with many shows last year however haven’t followed them up very well. Supporting the likes of Lethal Bizzle on his nationwide headline tour is a great start, but then playing on the ‘MySpace Schools Tour is maybe getting a bit desperate.

The most fundamental rule about my blog is that I try not to be a critic, therefore I won’t for the life of me listen to a song 400 times and try and compare the 2minute 45 second bridge to that of a band’s previous five singles or the most prominent of some of their favourite bands, because they sound exactly the same. Therefore, if there are aspects of a band that I don’t like I try not to go on about them, because I’m not trying to put people off music, I want people to discover new forms of music and judge it for themselves. Think of me as a voice inside your head, but not strictly a conscience.
Other tracks by the band that so far I have listened to include great sing-a-long dancefloor filler ‘Can’t Take You Anywhere’. A social moan about one’s partner being too much to handle after a few shots too many, that’s accompanied with lightning sharp programming and vocals from Stefan and backing vocals from Maya, who definitely has one of the sexiest voices I’ve heard in my University room lately. That’s not some kind of a sick joke, I just happen to have very crisp speakers in my room :D.


At the moment there are four songs on their MySpace, however, they appear to have deleted my favourite track of theirs; luckily I got hold of a copy for my iPod before the swine’s eradicated it. The track I’m talking about is called ‘This is Life’ a modern carnation of Frank’s classic ‘That’s Life’. These are the opening lines “This is life and I don’t really know if it’s true what they say/you’re flying high in April you’ll get shot down in May/This is life/And when your hopelessly lost, you’ll find the cost and pay the price” Personally I think that is pure genius, It doesn’t matter that is was conjured up by a post-grad music student from Fulham, its fresh, and I know that it speaks the bright flaming truth. Word for bloody word.

So my tip for this week is definitely one to take strong notice of, they maybe ‘just another band’, but their a very important band for lost of interesting and important musical reasons, that I’m sure a 90 year old music Journalist with more experience than me will be able to you before his heart fails on him. However, you could just go along to one of their numerous London shows during March, April or May and ask one of the many indie cindy wannabe’s why she’s taking pills and getting overly pissed for their music at 1:50am. Their MySpace should be able to divulge more information to your brain, feet and finger tips than me.
http://www.myspace.com/theclikclik


Video of the Week

Now you may think I have gone mad, but I assure you, I am totally and completely fine with a capital TH-ine. I have decided to place the ‘Video of the Week’ because of how the ‘Track of the Week’ section ends, because I feel that the last paragraph is most important piece of writing I have published on this blog to date.
OMG GAY BLOG MOMENT: MOVE ON.

This week’s top video in question is one of the best ‘stop-motion’ music videos I’ve ever seen, possibly rivalling the greatness of Hadouken!’s ‘That Boy That Girl’. ‘The Terradactyls – Devices’ is just pure class. The verses are depicted by two pairs of coloured scissors, and the chorus forced me to get down on my knees and worship. The inter-chorus sections (SOLO!’s) are outstanding. Whistling is pictured by duck whistles chasing each other around a table, then being chased by a swarm of beads that I think are supposed to be bees. Wow original, beads for bees, I really need to stop stating the obvious.
The guest vocals come from Kimya Dawson who was featured on the Juno soundtrack recently. Strongly recommend using up two and a half minutes of your life to watch this video. I only wish it were longer.





Track of the Week

This week’s track of the week is undoubtedly biased, but it also gives you more of an insight into my musical tastes. I’m really not sure if I said before, I think I did but anyway, My favourite band is Hard-Fi. They may not have that quirky edge or keyboard rhythm of most bands this side of 2006, but for me, THEY ARE GOD!
They should be placing up the video for their new single ‘I Shall Overcome’ sometime in the next couple of weeks.

This is the third single from their second No. 1 album ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’, and it’s one that when the album was released had a particular personal impact upon me. A MASSIVE change of lifestyle and emotions occurred during the week starting 3rd September 2007.
In just a single week, I went to their midnight album launch and signing session at Virgin Megastore, Oxford Street (Sept 2nd), which was the first time I had ever seen them live, I split up with my long-term (2 and half year) girlfriend on the Wednesday (Sept 5th) as well as said goodbye to many family members, one of the worst days of my life; saw Hard-Fi live again, this time at a proper gig at the London Hippodrome, Leicester Square, London, one of the best nights of my life; then moved to University the morning after (6th Sept), one of the biggest changes in my life and spent that night getting very pissed and making scores of new friends; then to top it off waking up late afternoon (Sept 7th) with a biggest hangover of my life.
I mean talk about a headfuck! This song for me, completely opitimises everything about what happened that week, and how I have been dealing with it since then, and still now; obviously I am enjoying University, but it was a complete life change. This song for me, summarises why music is so important to people, and why it can make or break people, at the smash of a snare, the touch of some keys, the strum of a guitar or the yell of ‘those three words’.





To anyone who has had to overcome any period of grief, life changing experience, or any period of hardship, this song is absolutely PERFECT in every sense of the word, and as sad as it may sound in a chirpy music blog of an 18-year old Journalism Student, this song is what music is all about.

No comments: