Monday 9 June 2008

Up & Coming Artists #9: Laura Marling

Laura Marling
Pop Starlet



At the age of just 18 - bloody 7 months younger than me, which is actually fookin' scary - Laura Marling has been turning heads and warming the hearts of the nation for the past year. She regularly collaborates with indie/folk-rock band Noah and the Whale and frontman to the band Charlie Fink produced her debut album 'Alas, I Cannot Swim', which was released back in February this year as she turned 18 and it peaked in the UK charts at #45; she also appeared in Later With Jools Holland around that time too.
Her debut release EP 'London Town' was released back in April 2007 to critical acclaim, which was followed up by a number of small festival shows including a slot at the Underage Festival and the O2 Wireless Festival.
She then released the 'Manic & I' EP late last year, which was followed up by the release of her first standard single 'Ghosts' to accomodate the release of her debut album.
I find her musick really really uplifting, not in the same way as Kate Nash, her lyrics are more direct, more brash, whereas Laura prefers to delight her listeners with sweet melodies and the lightest fingers to a guitar I've heard for some time.
I saw her live last year, but when she collaborated with Noah & The Whale, so I've yet to experience her live aurora; even so I was so suprised at the range of her voice, that seemed to come out of such a young face. Laura has the potential to go really far in life. She reminds me of a female version of Paul Weller at the moment, it's almost as if shes lived a huge life already before shes embarked on this journey, and that's something you can never take away from her.

I urge you to give her at least one listen, and if it should be any song then it should be 'New Romantic' which appeared on her 'My Manic & I' EP but not on her album. You can find the song here or on her MySpace.



Late last year she was once refused entry to one of her own performances because she was underage, this was at the Soho Revue Bar; so she decided to play her set out in the street instead, to a massive crowd. She has an amazing confidence for a solo artist at the age she is and if her EPs are anything to go by, I'll be taking a swipe into HMV today to buy her album!

No comments: