Tuesday 18 March 2008

Album Review #1: Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Does It Offend You, Yeah?
You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into
I've been lucky enough to lay my hands on a promo copy of the Album that's out next week (March 24th) and is unmistakebly going to be reviewed in this week's NME, so I thought why not, let's start my first ever album review with a certain hit. I'm gonna do this track by track, as minute by minute is just way too over the top, and takes fookin lightyears!

Review

Track #1: Battle Royale
As the album opens with the thumping of the bass and the finely tuned chords of synth heaven; you can already tell your in for one hell of a ride.
I'm wearing Sony Headphones for this, so I'm limited to what I can experience, but I can still feel the contagiousness of Does It Offend You, Yeah? running through my veins and into my nervous system. It's not Euphoric, but since when did anyone ever care about that

Track #2: With A Heavy Heart (I Regret to Inform You)

The youth of the nation shouts out firmly at the beginning of the first true song on the album. "I Loved Her... He entertained her... then forgave her"
This is also the first time I've ever heard in a song, the sound of someone being hanged and gasping for breath! Fusing elements of intense 90s American break-beat and modern British licks, this is a sure song to get the masses jumping. Imagine being absoluely blitzed out of your skull in a crowd of a thousand or more at the point of 3:14 and you will understand my point. This is the Euphoria I was hoping for!

Track #3: We Are Rockstars

Their next single to be released from their 'epic' collection. 'We Are Rockstars' is brash and bold, it's one of those 'different' tracks bands put out. Everyone knows 'The Ting Tings' by now and their hits 'That's Not My Name' and 'Great DJ', but what really sets them apart from the pack is 'We Walk'. It does exactly the same to them as this track does to DIOYY. It's not a short track at 3:50, but it feels short, as though they're racing through to the 'better bits'. It was a short step down in tone from the previous track, but that's what happens when you take speed and run around in circles. Pills + Exercise = Fucked Up Head

Track #4: Dawn of the Dead

This song reflects the band's contemporary indie influences, with 'quirky anecdots' Matthew Murphy would be proud of. If you discount the synths and a weird man voice in the background going "HOOOHH... HA!" it sounds like GoodBooks, but with a very hippy backdrop. It's clearly the 'makes you think' track. I also detect hints of Bloc Party and Keane, but that's just me. It's a feelgood track, simple as.

Track #5: Doomed Now

This track is very catchy on the outset, and the robot voice synths complement the drums and bass very well. It's sweet and innocent like Britney was many years ago, but has a Paramore kick to it. Ultimately this is a standard record building song, it couldn't really work anywhere else on the album, because it doesn't follow any of their bands typical conventions. Although I have somewhat a small feeling this is a great spectacle live.

Track #6: Attack of the 60ft Lesbian Octopus
Boasting possibly the best title to a song, since the days of Winston Churchill, this is sure to have your Nan turning in her grave. It'll get people moving on the dancefloor to all kinds of strange dances. It's very short at exactly 2 minutes, but its the perfect pace builder to the masterpiece of the whole setup.

Track #7: Let's Make Out
I think I first heard this track back in November when I found out the band we're supporting Hadouken! for their New Years Eve mash up. I feel instantly in love with it, as it did me: "I'm in love with you my baby girl" It sticks out in my mind as well as the only one of their songs on New Years that I actually vividly remember. It's just the most amazing experience to find yourself surfing on top of a crowd of sweaty people to the sound of "too many legs under the table"; it makes you feel really really slutty! But ohhhhh SO GOOD!

Track #8: Being Bad Feels Pretty Good

After that onslaught of madness, this track feels really refreshing and cleansing, just like the morning after pill! Ok, maybe not; but you catch my drift. The opening synths make you feel like you've just landed on mars amongst a strange race of people, who keep bowing to you and calling you the almighty 'gondolarse'. I really like this track, the riffs are unique and the lyrics are startling. "I will not go that way... I'll take it day-by-day." It reveals that this bunch of rave superstars can write songs as well as perform like a mass of exodus.

Track #9: Weird Science
The penultimate episode in this album of obscenities and nastiness, 'Wierd Science' sounds like something off of 'Lost in Space', and I don't have any other song in my musical caculated mind to compare it to. It's almost like a nu rave orchestra, great, but unless your under the age of 20 you won't understand its purpose or why it's so great.

Track #10: Last Epic Song

All good things must come to an end, and sometimes the best ones are the ones that end too early. I've heard nine distinctly different tracks on an album I thought would impress me, yet I can't help feeling I've been slightly shortchanged.
For a band that know how to throw a party and create an untold amount of carnage, they talk a lot about love and heartache, and it's really starting to rub off on me.
Some cheeky lines and plenty of fun, this was a decent round off, shame that Razorlight couldn't do the same with their last effort.

Verdict

Upon the ending of the first time I listened to the album, I proceeded to take out the Sony Headphones and plug back in the mother of all computer sound systems that be the Logitech Z-5500. Then I got myself ready to unleash the power of god unto the walls of my house and my neighbourhood with the full wacking 1000watt vibrating sound emitting device.
Then I had myself a little fist to the air moment, whilst utilising the other hand to press the 'play' button... again. This album duly deserves a fucking round of applause. However, if there's any complaints I have it's that I feel they rushed the album a bit. They could have given it maybe a month more, and included a few more sledgehammers in the middle. Although I feel the record was tame from tracks 3-5, it was topped off after 'Let's Make Out' with a delicious cherry. I feel There's definitely talent here, it just needs nurturing and time can only tell of that. It's a shame it's not going to get a chart place it deserves, with Panic At The Disco possibly stealing that illusive No.1, and Foals not far behind.

7/10

2 comments:

Jon Sidwell said...

oooooooh ive been looking forward to this album for bloody ages! I have high expectations for the LP and from the sounds of your review im not going to be disapointed!

Sid
www.musicliberation.blogspot.com

Gurujee said...

I was thinking to have it. Your review drove me to make a decision..Thnaks

Do visit my blog.

Gurujee
www.whaticallmusic.blogspot.com